Saturday, January 2, 2010

DAY ONE (and 2) - TWENTY TEN

SADDLE SHOE
I picked up this little pair of saddle shoes at the thrift store several months ago . . . I've put off painting them because the actual shoe laces are too thick for these little shoes. . . they kind of overwhelm the great black and white design. . . I would like to get some of the thin round laces to fit these . . . but overall a nice little painting . . . I enjoyed laying in all the "color" necessary to create the "white" leather along the side and on the inside of the shoe.

TWENTY TEN
What a way to start the year . . . I was more than half way through this painting when I realized I had stacked the blocks to read 2001 not 2010 . . . so this is a real twist on "don't paint what you know - paint what your see". . . as I couldn't rearrange the blocks at that point without messing up the shadows . . . but the real challenge in this piece was to paint something so structured and geometrical yet keep it "painterly" . . . don't think I nailed it completely but not a bad little painting . . . you'll see lots more of this blocks in the future.

Both of these paintings are currently available! For now you can e-mail me directly . . . just click on view my complete profile and use the e-mail link there. . . I plan to have a "buy it now" link added soon!
HAPPY NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment