Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Day 12 Confidence and Success

Red Onions At Night
When Radishes Run Wild Photo of Radish Still Life
Two more paintings (one from last night and one from today) . . . plus thought you might enjoy a photo of the actual still-life . . . did the red onions last night . . . true confessions . . . I didn't even take the one onion I have out of the refrigerator . . . messed around with faces from the fifties for about an hour . . .wiped everything off and painted the onions from memory(imagination) because I knew I could do a successful painting of them . . . after struggling with all the issues of the fifties paintings I was beginning to loose confidence . . . to much time spent wishing I could draw like Donna Howell Sickles, capture facial features like Kim Roberti and maintain color harmony like Carol Marine all added up to a bunch of work that is tight, muddy and "not me" . . . the best thing to do at that point is to go back to where you were most comfortable and satisfied with what you were doing . . . so here they are two paintings similar to the still-life pieces I was doing at the end of 2009 . . . improvement? changes? you bet . . . these are cleaner . . . not tight and fussy drawing and brighter, better color harmony than even a month ago . . . especially love the red and purple in the radish painting . . . anyway glad to be back painting "like I do" . . . and you all thought this was so easy and natural for us artists! . . . more soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment