Sunday, February 7, 2010

Day 38 Inside Info

STICK WITH ME BABY!
STILL LIFE & PAINTING
Thought I would add the photo of my painting and my "still life" . . . it really shows how I use stuff for inspiration but I am usually not trying to recreate exactly what I have set up . . . I find it better to take things out of my painting, change them or move them around during the process rather than duplicate the still life exactly . . . too often we think we are suppose to recreate the scene . . . as an artist. . . I think it is your responsibility to show the scene as you "see"it, emphasis the interesting and intriguing aspects. . . change the elements, color, size and shapes to design a better composition, a more aesthetically pleasing product or a description of what the scene would look like if it was "made" out of your medium. . . whatever is necessary to tell the story you want to tell . . . I know so many artists who are struggling because they have a preconceived notion of what a "good" painting is suppose to be and are not putting any real effort into what "their" painting needs to be . . . this is not to say skill and technique doesn't matter . . .you do need the skills . . . just like you need to know how to spell and use punctuation and grammar when writing . . . but you still must supply the words . . . don't retell the story with paint . . . tell your story with paint! . . . and that's another week with the art geek!!!
Just think I could be watching the Super Bowl with 100 million other people this afternoon . . . you all have fun with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment